Originally published in the BDHS newsletter, July 2009
By JoAnne Matsumura
Students make a big hit at the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition
The Kangley, WA “school made some nice exhibits for the A. Y. P. Exposition,” and the Selleck school bell may be the only object left of District #74 that included the Kangley and Selleck school students. The 15 students of District #74 participating in the A. Y. P. Exposition school exhibits are from the families of Lavender, Bowden, McDermott, Ramage, Brown, Fell, and Blevins.
In October of 1904, Miss Agnes McKinnon began teaching Kangley students in a one-room schoolhouse for the sum of $65.00 per month for grades one through nine, with a seating capacity of 48. “The new school house at Kangley is neat and convenient and adds very much to the industrious little hamlet. The teacher at this place performs her duties well and is very popular.” By November “the little school has just been finished and furnished of which it may be justly proud and its teacher Miss McKinnon of Enumclaw though teaching her first school is giving excellent satisfaction.”
By April 1909, County School Superintendent Storey was arranging for the Enumclaw contribution to the well-organized educational exhibits now being prepared by the county schools for the A. Y. P. exposition. The exhibits comprised essays and illustrative matter furnished by the public schools of various districts. The people gave every aid and encouragement to this work. It was stated to be “of a most valuable character.”
We still hear the school bell ring from time to time from students and adults who visit the Black Diamond Museum.