Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for December, 2011

Originally published in The Key to Good Cooking, compiled by The Ladies Aid of Black Diamond, 1913

Christmas Pudding

By Mrs. Richard Bushell

Mrs. Richard Bushell was the wife of Reverend Richard Bushell, a minister at the Congregational Church in Black Diamond.

Mrs. Richard Bushell was the wife of Reverend Richard Bushell, a minister at the Congregational Church in Black Diamond.

1 cup finely chopped beef suet
2 cups fine bread crumbs
1 large cup brown sugar
1 cup seeded raisins
1 cup currants
1 cup chopped, blanched almonds
½ cup candied peel, sliced thin
1 teaspoon salt
½ grated nutmeg
4 well beaten eggs

Dissolve a level teaspoon soda in a tablespoon of warm water. Flour the fruit with a pint of flour. In a large bowl put the well beaten eggs, sugar, spice, and salt together with 1 cup milk. Stir in the fruit (with flour), nuts, suet, and bread crumbs until all are used, putting in the dissolved soda last, and using the full pint of flour. Put into a mold and boil or steam 4 hours. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the BDHS newsletter, November 1994

By Ann Steiert

WreathOnce again we are going into the season that we have all been through during our lifetimes. It is a time of love, gifts, and much activity on the part of everyone. It brings back memories of past times and places.

One of the most beautiful settings in Black Diamond was when the men from St. Barbara’s Church would decorate the space on the altar with a beautiful hillside setting for the Crèche. They would use about a third of the altar space on the right hand side of the altar. The back of the setting went almost to the ceiling, sloping down to the altar rail. It was covered with foliage, ferns, and all sorts of greens to simulate a mountain hillside. The Crèche with the Holy Family in place was positioned at the bottom. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Black Diamond Museum

Originally published in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, July 11, 1991

By Jon Hahn, Seattle P-I columnist

There was a time when everyone out in Black Diamond was known by a nickname.

Those were simpler days, when a Frenchman known as “Flying Frog” transported hard-drinking coal miners and liquor at breakneck speeds in his Model T over the rough roads between Black Diamond and Ravensdale.

Emil “Flying Frog” Raisin is gone now. So is Edward “Catfish” Banchero, and hundreds of others born or raised in and around Black Diamond when coal was king and everyone had a nickname.

As recently as 10 years ago, Black Diamond was a self-contained “town out in the country” where Seattleites drove to buy fresh-baked bread from a little brick oven bakery. The tiny bakery has tripled production and now is attached to a busy delicatessen, and tour buses are fixtures along Railroad Avenue. More businesses are growing on the edges of town, and there’s talk of several subdivisions and hundreds more homes coming. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Times, December 2, 1950

Advantages of a 9,200-acre site at Lake Sawyer for the proposed Air Force Academy were pointed out today to a three-man Air Force selection board which toured the suggested site.

John Nordmark, King County planning officer, outlined in detail to Gen. Carl Spaatz, former Army Air Corps chief of staff; Lieut. Gen. H.R. Harmon and Brig. Gen. Harold L. Clark of the Air Force, the reasons why Lake Sawyer and the surrounding area would make an ideal site for the academy. (more…)

Read Full Post »