Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for January 8th, 2014

Originally published in the Enumclaw Overland, January 8, 1891

Drawing of Franklin, circa 1887.

Drawing of Franklin, circa 1887. Click to enlarge.

Two miles beyond Black Diamond, on the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad, is the Oregon Improvement Company’s Franklin Mine and the town of Franklin on the Green River. The location of this town is most romantic, built on the narrow shelves of the precipitous wall of the Green River canyon, about 600 feet above the rushing water.

The river has cut a narrow and deep gorge, through which it rushes and tumbles over cascades. The scenery is of the wildest and most rugged character. The town of Franklin contains about 500 people.

The output of the mine this year has been reduced, owing to the fact that the company has employed its force in developing another vein. As soon as the slope which is now being driven is completed, the product of the mine will be greatly increased. In this mine is employed one of the most powerful and best engines on the Pacific Coast.

Franklin is the terminus of the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad. It terminates at a point only about three miles distant from the Cascade Line of the Northern Pacific at Palmer.

Read Full Post »