Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for May 7th, 2014

Originally published in the Black Diamond Bulletin, Spring 2011

This photo, looking northeast, was taken by the King County assessor on December 13, 1939, and it looks as if the lake may have been frozen that day. The house was torn down in 1958, but the small island is still there, though it gets smaller each year due to the wave action from motor boats.

This photo, looking northeast, was taken by the King County assessor on December 13, 1939, and it looks as if the lake may have been frozen that day. The house was torn down in 1958, but the small island is still there, though it gets smaller each year due to the wave action from motor boats.

By Bill Kombol

No, that’s not a house boat! It’s a home built on an island in the southeast portion of Lake Sawyer.

The 936-square-foot home was built around 1935, presumably by its owner, Cyrus J. Wells. The foundation of the one-story house was partly on the island and partly supported by 10-inch piling. There were two rooms with open stud interior walls, a stove for heat, and a concrete chimney. The roof was composition and the home featured a 240-square-foot front porch as well as three small exterior porches to the rear of the home. There was neither plumbing nor electrical. (more…)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »