Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for October, 2014

Originally published in the Issaquah Press, October 26, 1988

By Linda Thielke

Newcastle pioneer descendent Oliver Rouse, left, helps King County Executive Tim Hill establish a new historical marker for Thomas Rouse Road. Photo by Linda Thielke.

Newcastle pioneer descendent Oliver Rouse, left, helps King County Executive Tim Hill establish a new historical marker for Thomas Rouse Road. Photo by Linda Thielke.

Newcastle was one of the first big communities in 19th-century King County, so it was only fitting that modern-day county leaders should inaugurate a new historic sites marker program on the location of the now-gone town.

County officials and descendents of Newcastle mining families gathered on Cougar Mountain October 21 to designate three historic landmarks. The county was represented by County Executive Tim Hill, Councilman Bruce Laing and members of the Landmarks Commission. History was well-represented by such families as the Rouses, Swansons, and Baimas.

“This might not mean a damn thing to most people, but it does to us old-timers,” said one person in the crowd. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, October 1914

Pacific Coast Coal Co. Logo 1922The Bulletin takes occasion to congratulate the employees at Franklin, Black Diamond, Newcastle, and Burnett upon the successful completion of a new agreement with the company covering wages and working conditions for the next two years. The new agreement is practically a renewal of the one that has been in effect for the past two years.

Your representatives did well to arrange such an agreement as, under existing conditions, it would have been out of the question for the company to have made any concessions that would have materially increased present cost of output. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Globe-News, October 20, 1978

By Jim Blubaugh

John Malgarini is still playing soccer at the age of 54.

John Malgarini still playing soccer at 54.

Over 35 years ago, when John Malgarini was a youngster in Black Diamond, a soccer ball was a major part of his life.

While kids at a lot of other schools tossed around a football at recess, youngsters in Black Diamond played with a soccer ball. “There weren’t enough kids in school to field a football team, so they gave us a soccer ball at recess,” Malgarini recalls.

Today, at 54, Malgarini still plays soccer. He’s the oldest player on the Renton Division A Senior (over 30) team entered in the Washington State Soccer League.

Soccer big before

If you happen to think that the history of soccer in Washington started with the boom of 1965, Malgarini is living proof that the sport was big in some Valley towns many years ago. It was big in places such as Black Diamond, Ravensdale, Issaquah, Carbonado and parts of Seattle before the turn of the century. (more…)

Read Full Post »

United Presbyterian Church, 1961.

United Presbyterian Church, 1961.

By JoAnne Matsumura

Black Diamond’s First Presbyterian Church was built under the leadership of Foreman Joseph Metzler in 1910. Rev. David Blythe was moderator for the Seattle Presbytery on September 26, 1910, with 66 charter members.

As it happens with many churches, it takes time to garner new members and there was a time when the choir outnumbered the congregation. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Junior Safety Patrol—Valuable Asset
Black Diamond High School

Black Diamond High School

Tuesday, October 18, marked the beginning of the first “Junior Safety Patrol” ever to be had in the city of Black Diamond. This patrol was introduced to the high school students by Patrolman Jackson of Auburn. He explained that the patrol boys have the power to give orders and report violations of traffic laws. Mr. Jackson stated emphatically he did not want anyone reported for “bullying.”
Coping Saw Started
A coping saw group was formed a few weeks ago under the supervision of Mr. Cobb. This group meets once a week from 2:00 to 2:30 p.m. down at the shop. Many juniors signed up for it and the girls especially find it interesting. The things that are being made are corner stands, door stops, belt and tie holders, etc.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the BDHS newsletter, January 1977

From time to time, as material and space permits, we would like to offer you profiles of the pioneers of this area. This first such profile, with pictures, is of Joseph Metzler, age 93 [in 1977], and still quite active.

The following material was graciously prepared by two of Joe’s daughters: Mrs. Clara Hudson of California and Mrs. Marion Langston of Montana. Ann Steiert combined and condensed the material.

Joe, our hats are off to you!

Joseph MetzlerIn the gallery of pioneers one name stands out in prominence for the active part its bearer played in the actual building of Black Diamond. That man is Joseph Metzler.

Joseph Metzler arrived in Black Diamond from Germany on Nov. 4, 1901, at 6 p.m., on a freight train that also pulled a passenger car for passengers. His uncle, Joseph Steiert, paid for his passage and he lived with him for several years.

Several years after he arrived in Black Diamond he sent for his mother, Pauline Metzler, and a step-brother, Emile. He purchased a home for his family across from the ballpark on the new road going to the Morgan Slope (#11) mine. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, December 15, 2009

Lombardini

By Bill Kombol

Shown here is John B. Lombardini Sr.’s market and gas station located at the northern triangle created by the intersection of the Black Diamond-Ravensdale Road and Highway 169. (more…)

Read Full Post »

By Ann Steiert

Originally published in the BDHS newsletter, February 1994

BD Gen. Mdse Store ca. 1920s - 2In almost every story that is written about early company towns such as coal and lumbering towns there is a mention of the company store. The one in Black Diamond was a very real part of the life of its citizens.

The first store was located near where the bakery stands now. It was unlucky enough to burn down in 1907. Duda Vernarelli told us of the excitment on the day that came to pass. He said people went into the burning building and grabbed anything they could.

He said that for weeks after it was over people would be asking one another if they had a mate to a shoe that they had picked up and trying to match goods. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, September 20, 1923

Coffee grinder, ca. 1900, from the Black Diamond company store. The grinder is on display on the lower level of the museum.

Coffee grinder, ca. 1900, from the Black Diamond company store. The grinder is on display on the lower level of the museum.

Editor BULLETIN:

We have just made a comparison of company merchandise store prices with those charged in one of the progressive Seattle stores which gets a large share of its business on the basis of its close prices. We find out prices pratically identical with those of this store.

Will you kindly publish the enclosed list for the benefit of our store patrons. If any of our employees would like any further information along this line, I would be very glad to hear from them.

E.F. DeGRANDPRE. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Black Diamond Bulletin, Winter 2010/2011

The Black Diamond General Store, circa 1915, shortly after its move from Lawson Hill.

The Black Diamond General Store, circa 1915, shortly after its move from Lawson Hill.

By Ken Jensen

GOING TO THE GROCERY STORE. Sounds like a fairly simple task, unless of course you live in Black Diamond—in which case you have to trek to Maple Valley, Covington, or Enumclaw for the nearest Safeway or QFC.

This isn’t a clean-up-on-aisle-three calamity, though—the Four Corners Safeway is only a few miles down the Maple Valley-Black Diamond Road—but we take our modern conveniences seriously these days, don’t we? (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »