Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for February 8th, 2016

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, February 8, 1922

New Pacific Coast Coal Co logo - 1927Every effort is being made by the management to complete as promptly as possible the plans of the new organization and get it in active operation.

Manager of Mines Green and Industrial Engineer Lindsey have, since the last issue of the Bulletin, held staff meetings at each of the mines at which the plans were thoroughly explained to, and discussed with, the mine officials.

Meetings will now be held at which Mr. Lindsey and Mutual Service Director Irelan will explain the plans to the employees. At these meetings temporary representatives of the men will be selected who will promptly thereafter meet with the company representatives to form the Mine Councils, and these, in turn, will select temporary representatives to the Central Council, and it is hoped that the organization can be in operation within the next two or three weeks.

There has been a little delay in the preparation and printing of the Constitution and Book of Standard Practices, but these will be completed and in the hands of each employee very shortly.

The Bulletin will keep all advised as to the progress made, giving the personnel of the Councils as fast as organized, and printing all other information which, it is felt, will be of interest or value to its readers.

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, February 8, 1922

By Geo. Watkin Evans, consulting coal mining engineer, Seattle

Pacific Coast Coal Co. Logo 1922For the purpose of this paper, the Cedar River coal area will include the coal mines and coal beds discovered and developed at Renton and vicinity, and also at Cedar Mountain. These two areas are properly within the Cedar River watershed.

Renton district

As stated in a previous paper, coal was found on Black River in the vicinity of Renton in 1853 by Dr. M. Bigelow. A small mine was opened and coal was shipped by boat down Black River, then along the Duwamish River to Seattle, but in 1855 an Indian outbreak occurred in which two of the men interested in the project were killed, and the mine was abandoned. (more…)

Read Full Post »