Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for January 8th, 2017

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, May 24, 2016

By Bill Kombol

The Green River Gorge Bridge crosses the river about 4.25 miles upstream from the Kummer Bridge.

The Green River Gorge Bridge crosses the river about 4.25 miles upstream from the Kummer Bridge.

This image by Clark Kinsey shows the Green River Gorge Bridge and Bridal Veil Falls, circa 1923. It comes courtesy of his grandson, Ron Kinsey, who made this image from the 11″ x 14″ original. The 1923 photo was tinted by Ron’s grandmother, Mary Jane (Williams), a Welsh immigrant to Black Diamond who married Kinsey in 1898.

Ron speculates that scenic photos with colorful tinting were used as stock-in-trade in Clark Kinsey’s photography business. Bridges across the Green River Gorge at this location have a storied history.

The first crossings were simple planks at river level, which spanned from rock to rock. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, May 17, 2016

By Bill Kombol

This photo shows the steel truss bridge in the late stages of construction when the roadway/deck was being surfaced.

This photo shows the steel truss bridge in the late stages of construction when the roadway/deck was being surfaced.

The Kummer Bridge was built from June 1932 to October 1933 to provide a more direct route between Black Diamond and Enumclaw. Can you imagine a bridge of this height (155 feet above the Green River); width (28 feet); and span (688 feet) being built in a mere 17 months today?

Originally called the Kummer Cut-off Bridge, it is now officially known as the Dan Evans/Green River Bridge, but often called the SR-169 or High Bridge. Its namesake, Kummer, was a nearby coal and clay mining community. (more…)

Read Full Post »