Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for January 12th, 2017

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, April 8, 2014

By Bill Kombol

The Green River Gorge is gorgeous to behold and a beautiful oasis on idyllic summer days. This June 1977 photo was taken by Vic Condiotty.

The Green River Gorge is gorgeous to behold and a beautiful oasis on idyllic summer days. This June 1977 photo was taken by Vic Condiotty.

The single-lane bridge over the Green River Gorge is a vista to behold as you cross 150 feet above the river; and even more remarkable when looking up. The bridge was built in 1915 to replace earlier wooden crossings that served the nearby coal mining town of Franklin founded in 1885 by the Oregon Improvement Company. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, March 25, 2014

By Bill Kombol

This bridge is a rare and intact example of the Baltimore-Petit deck truss design, the only such structure owned and maintained by King County. The bridge was designated as a Landmark Bridge in 2004.

This bridge is a rare and intact example of the Baltimore-Petit deck truss design, the only such structure owned and maintained by King County. The bridge was designated as a Landmark Bridge in 2004.

The high bridge spanning the Green River Gorge, a famed and scenic site located between Cumberland and Black Diamond, was built in 1915. The bridge, now a single-lane design, is still in service nearly 100 years later. It was built to connect the Green River Gorge Road west of the river with the Enumclaw-Franklin Road to the east. (more…)

Read Full Post »