Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for July 16th, 2017

Originally published in The Seattle Sunday Times, July 16, 1961

By Lucile McDonald

This huge sawmill was the center of the Wood & Iverson operations in Hobart from 1913 to 1941. The mill pond was in the foreground. The site now is an area of swampy ground which will be crossed by a new road.

This huge sawmill was the center of the Wood & Iverson operations in Hobart from 1913 to 1941. The mill pond was in the foreground. The site now is an area of swampy ground which will be crossed by a new road.

Memories are becoming more dear to the pioneers of this area as progress changes the very face of the land.

For instance, where the new Primary State Highway No. 2, Echo Lake Branch, now under construction, will cross a stretch of swampy ground on a viaduct near Hobart, east of Maple Valley, a large mill once made the countryside echo with the sound of saws and the blast of its whistle summoning men to work.

The highway climbs along Holder Creek Canyon through vestiges of a forest that fed its logs to the Wood & Iverson mill from 1913 to 1941. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, July 16, 1913

Manager of Pacific Coast’s interests announces corporation’s plans for expenditure of nearly $150,000

Petroleum will be refined as side line: Asphalt used as binder for raw material to be manufactured from crude oil at factory on lake

Briquetville occupied 20 acres east of the Shuffleton steam plant—an area today that partly encompasses Gene Coulon Park.

Plans for the immediate construction of a briquetting plant near the south end of Lake Washington, within a mile of Renton, the first unit of which will cost between $125,000 and $150,000, were announced yesterday by James Anderson, general manager of the Pacific Coast Coal Company, which will build the plant. (more…)

Read Full Post »