Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for November 29th, 2017

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, November 29, 1978

Building, center left, is part of the remains of the New Black Diamond Mine. It is now part of the King County Maintenance Shops.

Building, center left, is part of the remains of the New Black Diamond Mine. It is now part of the King County Maintenance Shops.

Holidays seem to bring visitors, and visitors to our area frequently have questions. There are often questions about coal and its history here.

There are many “old-timers” who can share their experiences but they are not always available when “Cousin Harry” asks, “Where were the coal mines?” or “How much coal did they get?”

The pictures on this page will help tell the story of one of the mines in the area. The New Black Diamond Mine was located between Maple Valley and Renton on what is now Highway 169. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, November 29, 1923

These men are not singing the old nursery rhyme of “Rub-a-dub-dub, three men in a tub,” even though the picture does call to mind the childhood jingle. They are eight full-sized he-men with safety lamps, full lunch buckets, and skilled hands, aboard a man trip ready to start down the slope to the lower levels of Black Diamond Mine for an eight-hour shift.

Among those in the car recognized by the Bulletin photographer were: Frank Eddy, George Hoadley, Joe Marquis, Serge Head, and Robt. Ogden. (more…)

Read Full Post »