Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for April 5th, 2018

Originally published in the Washington State Historical Society’s quarterly journal, Columbia, Spring 1994

By John Hanscom

Drawing of Franklin, circa 1887.

Bird’s-eye-view map of Franklin Mine and its environs, c. 1890. (Courtesy of Don Mason and the Black Diamond Historical Society.)

Henry Villard launched the Oregon Improvement Company in October 1880 as part of his grand scheme to dominate the development of the Pacific Northwest. By 1883 he had tied the area to the national economy with the completion of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Expansive development of the Pacific Northwest seemed assured.

To fuel Villard’s steamships and locomotives, a dependable coal supply was a high priority. By February 1881 the Oregon Improvement Company had acquired the Seattle Coal and Transportation Company, including the Newcastle Mine east of Lake Washington, at a cost of one million dollars. The Seattle and Walla Walla Railroad (renamed the Columbia and Puget Sound) was also purchased for over half a million dollars to transport coal from mine to Seattle bunkers. Villard hired John L. Howard under a five-year contract at $10,000 per year as general manager of the coal business. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, April 5, 1989

Groundbreakers were Ann Trullinger, project manager; Rosemary Konoske, branch manager; Rich Martindale, bank president; Philip E. Biege, chairman of the board; Rudy Petchnick, preliminary site work; Rick Driftmier, architect; and bulldozer operator Rick Fardig. (Photo by Doug Williams.)

Groundbreakers were Ann Trullinger, project manager; Rosemary Konoske, branch manager; Rich Martindale, bank president; Philip E. Biege, chairman of the board; Rudy Petchnick, preliminary site work; Rick Driftmier, architect; and bulldozer operator Rick Fardig. (Photo by Doug Williams.)

Ground was broken last week on the 1.3 acre site of the First National Bank of Enumclaw’s new branch at Four Corners. The site is on the south side of Kent-Kangley Road near the road’s intersection with Highway 169, across the highway from the bank’s existing branch. (more…)

Read Full Post »