Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for June 7th, 2018

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, June 7, 1978

By D’Ann Pedee

Clutching blue and silver trophies, the Petchnick brothers appeared tired but happy after repeating as winners in the Cedar River Men’s Boat Race last Saturday. Their craft was sponsored by the Good Earth Works. On the left is Dan Petchnick alongside Rudy Petchnick. — Voice photo by Bob Gerbing

Clutching blue and silver trophies, the Petchnick brothers appeared tired but happy after repeating as winners in the Cedar River Men’s Boat Race last Saturday. Their craft was sponsored by the Good Earth Works. On the left is Dan Petchnick alongside Rudy Petchnick. — Voice photo by Bob Gerbing

They poured it on and then they poured it in.

The team with champagne tastes, the Petchnick brothers, with 86-degree sun sapping their strength, poured on power to win the 1978 Cedar River Boat Race last Saturday, June 3.

At award time, they downed champagne while clutching blue and silver trophies for fastest time of one hour, five minutes and 53 seconds in the endurance contest which began at Landsburg and ended at Cedar Grove.

Their craft, Screamin’ Eagle, which was sponsored by Good Earth Works, also took trophies for best-looking boat of the 18 entries in men’s and women’s boats. The boat was painted baby blue with an eagle on the side. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, June 7, 1978

The following material has been presented to the Voice by Ann Phinney after the sale of the Phinney part of the “Burtenshaw property” they owned many years.

“This is the history of the Burtenshaw homestead as written by the oldest daughter, Estella Burtenshaw Macmillian, and given to us July 6, 1953, after we bought the homestead in the summer of 1951,” Mrs. Phinney says.

By Estella Burtenshaw Macmillian

Though showing inevitable ravages of time, this Burtenshaw barn still stands on its original site off S.E. 216th in Maple Valley. Voice photo by Bob Gerbing.

Though showing inevitable ravages of time, this Burtenshaw barn still stands on its original site off S.E. 216th in Maple Valley. Voice photo by Bob Gerbing.

William A. Burtenshaw came to Washington Territory from Oregon, driving a team of horses across the country by the Overland route.

During the winter of 1884 he drove the first team of horses into Maple Valley, where previous to this time there were but two yoke of oxen.

He filed on the homestead of 120 acres situated twelve miles east of Renton (This land extended up to and included the little house, which used to be the Shaw’s store, by the now Junior High—note by AHP.)

The family lived in a tent two years. In 1886 he built the first house. Soon after that he built the first part of the barn. A few years later he added the larger part. (more…)

Read Full Post »