Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘boarding houses’

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, June 21, 1902

Burglars secure stamps to the value of $350 and small amount of cash

The Confectionery, circa 1940, with the emergency siren, now on display at the museum, on the roof. The Show Hall is at right.

The Confectionery, circa 1940, was the site of the post office robbery in 1902. Today the building is the home to Black Diamond Pizza & Deli.

BLACK DIAMOND, Saturday, June 21.—The post office safe was blown open last night or early this morning and rifled. Three hundred and fifty dollars’ worth of stamps was taken.

Postmaster Charles McKinnon discovered the robbery when he arrived at the post office at 6:30 this morning. The office is located in the back part of a store and the store also sustained a loss of $10 in cash from the register, and a small amount of candy from the show case. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Enumclaw Courier, June 13, 1913

These buildings were located where the Green River Eagles #1490 is today.

Fire broke out in the Black Diamond Hotel last Friday morning at about 2 o’clock, said to be caused by a man’s carelessness in smoking in one of the rooms. The building and contents were entirely destroyed, and the flames spread to Pete Fredericksen’s meat market adjoining, and a nearby residence, both being consumed.

A small safe containing considerable money, a cash register, and some books were saved from the market. Some meat was also carried out, but much of it was stolen after being placed beyond the reach of the flames. The insurance on all the property was small and the loss consequently was considerable.

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, December 7, 2010

By Bill Kombol

The Miller boarding house was located about 500 feet east of Miller’s saloon, known as Ben’s Place.

The Miller boarding house was located about 500 feet east of Miller’s saloon, known as Ben’s Place.

This photo shows the 17-room boarding house belonging to Ben and LuLu (McCracken) Miller, which operated near a coal-mining town called Naco, the home of the Navy mine operations on the Naval coal seams.

Originally known as Sunset, the name was changed to Navy in 1908, and in 1916 the Northern Pacific railroad coined the term Naco for the railway stop. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, March 29, 1922

By Geo. Watkin Evans, consulting coal mining engineer, Seattle

George Watkin Evans (1876-1951), 1924 Courtesy Seattle and Environs

George Watkin Evans, 1924

Pacosco, as it is now called, was formerly Franklin. This district was first opened on the banks of Green River on the McKay Coal Seam about 1885. The railroad was extended from Black Diamond in order to develop this coal area.

Originally, Franklin Mine was opened by a drift driven on the McKay Coal at bunker level above the old railroad grade. Later a water level gangway was driven from the edge of Green River and the coal hoisted up an incline on the surface and dumped over the same tipple as that from the upper level. Later a slope was sunk on another bed which underlies the McKay and all of the coal below the original bunker level was hauled through this opening.

Numerous slopes were sunk at Franklin and also one shaft was developed. Most of the coal was mined from the McKay Bed but some was also mined from two underlying beds, the Number Twelve and the Number Ten. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Issaquah Press, March 14, 1990

Take a look at the elder Paul Kos’ huge, work-worn hands holding baby Paul and you could probably guess that the Kos family is a part of Issaquah’s coal mining history. This photo taken in 1908, shows Mr. Kos in his prime surrounded by his family (daughter Rose Kos Croston, wife Rose Kos, and sons Frank and Paul Kos). Photo courtesy of Paul Kos.

Take a look at the elder Paul Kos’ huge, work-worn hands holding baby Paul and you could probably guess that the Kos family is a part of Issaquah’s coal mining history. This photo taken in 1908, shows Mr. Kos in his prime surrounded by his family (daughter Rose Kos Croston, wife Rose Kos, and sons Frank and Paul Kos). Photo courtesy of Paul Kos.

Around the turn of the century, Paul Kos left his wife and family behind in Yugoslavia (then Austria-Hungary) to find a better life in America. He came to the coal mines in Ravensdale, south of Issaquah.

The first words Kos learned in English were “hurry up!” Working 10 hour-days for $2.50 a day it took him five years to save up enough to bring Rose and the two oldest children over.

In 1912, the family moved to Issaquah to take advantage of the town’s coal boom. Single miners lived in rooming houses or in the tent city along the creek, but the Kos family bought the “horseshoe” house at First Avenue NE and Bush Street. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 12, 1888

A community where constables and officers of the law are not needed—Remarkable progress and substantial prosperity

Drawing of Franklin, circa 1887.

Drawing of Franklin, circa 1887.

Probably the majority of the readers of the Post-Intelligencer have never inspected a coal mine or visited a town where coal mining was the exclusive industry. They have, therefore, necessarily but an imperfect knowledge of a large and very excellent class of the working population of this territory, and especially of King County.

A representative of this paper visited Franklin, in this county, a day or two ago and made some observations which may be of general interest. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Issaquah Press, November 7, 1990

Paul Knoernschild married Hannah Wilkinson in 1908 in the mining town of Taylor, which was southeast of Issaquah. There is not much left of Taylor today, but there are still many of the couple’s descendants in this area. Photo courtesy of Mary Knoernschild Lewis.

Paul Knoernschild married Hannah Wilkinson in 1908 in the mining town of Taylor, which was southeast of Issaquah. There is not much left of Taylor today, but there are still many of the couple’s descendants in this area. Photo courtesy of Mary Knoernschild Lewis.

Paul Knoernschild, the son of German immigrants, was born in Milwaukee before the turn of the century. He came west to visit a brother in the early 1900s, and somehow ended up working in a grocery store in Taylor. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »