Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Cedar Grove’

Originally published in the MVHS Bugle, September 2007

Bud and Ora Mable (Babe) relax in the living room of their remodeled cabin they purchased in Orchard Grove 61 years ago. Photo by Barbara Nilson.

In 1946 Babe Bodvin was traveling down Dorre Don Way visiting a friend of her mother’s when she spotted a two-room cabin for sale. It was owned by a doctor who had built it in 1936. She went home to Seattle to ask her husband, Bud, if they could buy it at $850 for an acre of ground and the cabin. He said yes and 61 years later they’re still there.

They celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary in April. Bud said they were married in her folk’s home right where the Space Needle is today. Her folks, Charles and Capitoly Werl, later moved to Hobart in the 1940s.

Bud said, “All there was to the cabin was a kitchen and the room that is now their living room, nothing else; no ceilings, no running water, an outhouse, we used the fireplace for heat.” (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Issaquah Press, July 22, 1992

David Horrocks

David Horrocks

In 1888, David Horrocks’ great-grandfather bought about 100 acres from the Northern Pacific Railroad along what is now Cedar Grove Road. David Horrocks was born on that land, 500 feet from where he and his wife Nancy live today.

During all that time, a fabulous history has developed in the upper Squak valley.

For the last five months, the Horrocks family has been piecing together the history and memories of a time that is lost for most people. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Tmes, June 9, 1968

A waterwheel built in 1888 to power a sawmill and blacksmith shop on the Horrocks ranch in Maple Valley will be preserved by the developers of Four Lakes, a residential district.

A waterwheel built in 1888 to power a sawmill and blacksmith shop on the Horrocks ranch in Maple Valley will be preserved by the developers of Four Lakes, a residential district.

Site preparation has begun on a 200-acre residential area on Cedar Grove Road in Maple Valley by the Four Lakes Development Co.

Four Lakes will have three quarters of a mile road frontage between the Hobart Road and the Maple Valley Highway.

Price range for the 150 lots of one to two and a half acres will be from $3,500 to $10,000, according to Walter Schaefer, president of the Four Lakes Co. Sales will begin in mid-June.

Four Lakes will offer a historic green-belt approach with a waterwheel and a blacksmith shop built shortly after the land was bought from the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1885 to be preserved.

Schaefer acquired the property this year from David Horrocks, grandson of James Horrocks, who pioneered the property. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, June 7, 1978

By D’Ann Pedee

Clutching blue and silver trophies, the Petchnick brothers appeared tired but happy after repeating as winners in the Cedar River Men’s Boat Race last Saturday. Their craft was sponsored by the Good Earth Works. On the left is Dan Petchnick alongside Rudy Petchnick. — Voice photo by Bob Gerbing

Clutching blue and silver trophies, the Petchnick brothers appeared tired but happy after repeating as winners in the Cedar River Men’s Boat Race last Saturday. Their craft was sponsored by the Good Earth Works. On the left is Dan Petchnick alongside Rudy Petchnick. — Voice photo by Bob Gerbing

They poured it on and then they poured it in.

The team with champagne tastes, the Petchnick brothers, with 86-degree sun sapping their strength, poured on power to win the 1978 Cedar River Boat Race last Saturday, June 3.

At award time, they downed champagne while clutching blue and silver trophies for fastest time of one hour, five minutes and 53 seconds in the endurance contest which began at Landsburg and ended at Cedar Grove.

Their craft, Screamin’ Eagle, which was sponsored by Good Earth Works, also took trophies for best-looking boat of the 18 entries in men’s and women’s boats. The boat was painted baby blue with an eagle on the side. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, June 1988

By Rick Fardig

The first Cedar River Boat Race was held in the early 1940s as an endurance race. The racers traveled down river from Maple Valley to Renton. In 1962 the Cedar River Boat Race Association altered the course to begin at Landsburg and finish at the Cedar Grove Bridge. This change in the course was done so that the Maple Valley community could enjoy the race from start to finish. The course also presented a greater challenge for the racers. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, May 31, 1978

Maple Valley Day 1978 will unfold this coming Saturday, June 3, and all indications point to another big fun and family day for valleyites and visitors.

Grand Marshal for the parade will be Don Testerman, running back of the Seattle Seahawks. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, May 9, 1979

Part of the crowd who gathered at the Lower Dorre Don railroad trestle (“Ziegner’s Bridge”) for the Cedar River Boat Sprint Race on May 5.

Part of the crowd who gathered at the Lower Dorre Don railroad trestle (“Ziegner’s Bridge”) for the Cedar River Boat Sprint Race on May 5.

The racers were wet before they hit the water in Saturday’s Sprint Race, a one-and-a-half mile river course. In an off again-on again downpour with hailstones, the Good Earth Works boat powered by the Petchnick brothers, Dan and Rudy, came in first after four elimination races which started with 16 boats.

In second place were teenagers Jeff Werlinger and Gary Hall from Tahoma High School. They built their boat, “Pride of West Valley,” in Construction Exploration class. Hagen Electric with Jim Hagen and Jim Thompson took third.

Full details of the race will be printed next week. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »