Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘company store’

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, June 21, 1978

One of Maple Valley’s first stores, once well-stocked and standing where the Maple Valley Food Center is now located, still is used for storage as it rests in a pasture at the dead end of S.E. 216th Place. Built about 1896, it is probably the oldest commercial building remaining in Maple Valley. —Voice photo by Bob Gerbing.

One of Maple Valley’s first stores, once well-stocked and standing where the Maple Valley Food Center is now located, still is used for storage as it rests in a pasture at the dead end of S.E. 216th Place. Built about 1896, it is probably the oldest commercial building remaining in Maple Valley. —Voice photo by Bob Gerbing.

Maple Valley’s first store sits proudly in a pasture at the dead end of S.E. 216th Place and it is almost unnoticed.

Built about 1896, owned and run successively by William D. Gibbon and Joe Mezzavilla, it is probably the oldest commercial building remaining in Maple Valley.

According to Jayne Wissel, King County historic site researcher, there are many unique structures of local historical significance in the Maple Valley area such as the Scholtman house, the Lagesson cabin, and the Hobart school buildings.

Local citizens and members of the Maple Valley Historical Society have aided in the locating and historical research of these sites. Some information has been gathered on many more sites. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, June 21, 1923

Just to indicate where some of the coal goes which the mines at Black Diamond, Newcastle, and Burnett are constantly producing, the Bulletin this week presents a few scenes recently taken at the coal bunkers of the Pacific Coast Coal Company.

In the upper corner to the left is shown long rows of sacked Black Diamond lump, waiting to be loaded on the naval vessel, Gold Star, the steamer to the right in the oval just below. This coal, 36,378 sacks, was shipped to various Government schools and radio stations in Alaska. The center view shows the ship’s sling loading coal into the hold. On the right, upper view, is another scene showing the sacked coal ready for shipment, while below is the steamer Birmingham City taking steam coal for her own boilers. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, June 14, 1923

If working a shift in Black Diamond Mine was no harder for the four men shown above than it was for them to pose for this picture, there would always be a mad scramble among the men to see who could get the first man-trip down.

At the left we introduce to you, George Belt, and next to him, Fred Cunningham, a former Issaquah miner. The man next in line is R.E. “Curly” Campbell and the young Hercules at the extreme right is Darwin Walton. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, June 7, 1923

In keeping with the Bulletin’s policy of acquainting its readers with all phases of the company’s activities, we take pleasure this week in introducing the efficient force of the Everett agency of the Pacific Coast Coal Company. Here, as in Wenatchee, Portland, Tacoma, and Juneau, the agency force is constantly exerting every effort to increase the sales of briquets and Black Diamond, South Prairie, Newcastle, and Issaquah coals.

The picture shown above was taken on the occasion of a banquet on Saturday, May 26, at which Manager Charles O. Hilen presided. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, May 24, 1923

Every mine has its firebosses, but Newcastle is willing to stack its supervisory force against that of any other mine in the world, confident of winning first honors anywhere. To back up their boasts they present herewith the photograph of a group taken recently, most of whom had just come off shift. From left to right they are:

A. Elmer Anderson, Dick Richards, Mine Foreman Chas. Lumley, John Eck, Joe Daler, Wm. Bowie, and W.E. Jones. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, May 17, 1923

Toonerville trolley

Toonerville trolley

Guided by the accommodating hand of Supt. J.J. Jones, the editor of the Bulletin was conducted through Black Diamond Mine last Friday, May 11, and initiated into the mysteries of digging coal.

Down on the 12th Level, in Chute No. 1, on the South Side, J.D. Walton gave a demonstration of how a pick is used in digging, while up at the face in the gangway some of the boys were busy with a jack hammer, driving the gangway still further along the seam.

At the 11th Level Pete Kurth, cager, was found on the job, busy with the constant string of trips coming and going. Going on up to the 9th, the trip was made on the “Toonerville Trolley”—the auxiliary hoist between the 12th and 7th Levels used until the 12th Level is developed extensively enough to permit the switching of the main trip. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, May 3, 1923

Around the top works of a mine the greatest noticeable activity is when the shifts are going on and coming off. During the rest of the time the trips come shooting up the shaft with machine-like regularity, discharge their coal cargoes, and drop back down again with little of the human element in evidence.

That those who stay on top might see who’s responsible below for the daily hoist the Bulletin herewith shows one group of the men ready to go underground for the graveyard shift.

Reading from left to right they are: Elmer Landis, Earl Cooper, L.A. Broulette, Tony Pinter (just peeking over Broulette’s shoulder), Ray Ellis, Wm. Holzhauser, Robt. Wallace, Ed. Sawyer, Joe Zeman, Phil Werle, Eli Celich, I.C. Thompson, and Wm. Kelly. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »