Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Dale Coal Co.’

Originally published in the MVHS’s The Bugle, November 1997

By Eva Litras

Dale Coal Company in Ravensdale, a typical small mine of this area early in the century. Photo supplied by Maple Valley Historical Society Museum.

Dale Coal Company in Ravensdale, a typical small mine of this area early in the century. Photo supplied by Maple Valley Historical Society Museum.

This is a story about the Elkcoal Mine—located off the Kangley-Kanasket Road. We moved there in 1929 and lived in a small house on Sugarloaf Mountain. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Sunday Times, August 27, 1961

By Lucile McDonald

Coal industry surges are an old thing to the town of Ravensdale. One such surge, in the late 1920s, brought reconstruction and modernization of the town, as shown above in a photo taken by Asahel Curtis.

Coal industry surges are an old thing to the town of Ravensdale. One such surge, in the late 1920s, brought reconstruction and modernization of the town, as shown above in a photo taken by Asahel Curtis.

“We’ve lived in coal revivals since 1915. We have spurts and then, they fall off,” observed John Markus, Sr., proprietor of Ravensdale’s principal place of business, a grocery on the Kent-Kangley Road.

The little community with the euphonious name in South King County’s coal belt is about to have another “spurt,” however. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Enumclaw Courier, August 14, 1930

Enumclaw districtAside from logging and farming, coal mining is undoubtedly one of the oldest of commercial industries in the state of Washington, millions of dollars worth of this fuel has been removed from the land in this section of the state during the past fifty years.

During the past few years the coal mining industry has been lagging, competition of other fuel from other parts of the nation has done much to bring on this condition. And lack of proper home support has been responsible in a certain degree for this depletion of mining activity.

As a result of a concerted campaign on the part of organized business of the state, the mining industry appears to be on the verge of an unusual advance. Enumclaw will benefit much because of that advance and to bring home a greater realization of what the coal industry means to us the following contributed article has been prepared through the local business men. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Globe News, July 4, 1976

By Bill Smull

The Royal George: The origin of ‘Georgetown’ is reflected in the building name. Hatless man at right end of porch is believed to be Simon Frasier, co-owner of the saloon.

The Royal George: The origin of ‘Georgetown’ is reflected in the building name. Hatless man at right end of porch is believed to be Simon Frasier, co-owner of the saloon.

The Nov. 16, 1915 explosion that closed the Ravensdale mine very nearly blew the little community off the map.

But half a century later, the cluster of houses along the Kent-Kangley Road still is home to a hundred or more families who find the relative seclusion and quiet more than compensate for the lack of urban amenities.

“There’s no smog, or city noise,” remarked Wendell C. Johnson, who has handled the local postal service chores for more than 20 years.

But Johnson is a newcomer in town only since 1949. Vern Habenicht, who moved into town in 1909, remembers when things weren’t so quiet. (more…)

Read Full Post »