Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘dancing’

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, September 27, 1978

The Hobart gym, abandoned for years and still with windows boarded and needing paint, was used successfully last season for numerous volleyball games. It now appears it may be possible it may be possible through block grants funds to restore the building and make it once again a social center for the community as it was in earlier days.

The Hobart gym, abandoned for years and still with windows boarded and needing paint, was used successfully last season for numerous volleyball games. It now appears it may be possible it may be possible through block grants funds to restore the building and make it once again a social center for the community as it was in earlier days.

The Maple Valley Historical Society at its Sept. 18 meeting discussed three possible buildings or sites in the area which might qualify for inclusion in the State Historical Register or for block grant restoration money.

The gymnasium at the old Hobart School site was deemed the most historically significant building in that area by Jane Wissel, King County Historic Site researcher. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, August 17, 1977

By George and Dianne Wilson

The latest business enterprise in Black Diamond is this second-hand store and pawn shop located next to the Morganville Tavern. (Voice photo by Bob Gerbing.)

The latest business enterprise in Black Diamond is this second-hand store and pawn shop located next to the Morganville Tavern. (Voice photo by Bob Gerbing.)

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, August 17, 1977

By George and Dianne Wilson

There are no ships or sealing wax, no cabbages or kings, but shoes plus a multitude of other items are now on display and for sale at “Funky and the Damn Near New.”

Located next to the Morganville Tavern in Black Diamond, Funky is the brainchild of owner Steve Novotny. He describes it as a second-hand store and pawn shop, intended in part to meet the needs of low-income families in the area. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, February 8, 1923

Drawn by Chas. Butkus

Drawn by Chas. Butkus

With “Sailor” Leap’s kayo of Battling Morales in the last minute of the first round of a scheduled four-round go and Jimmie Forbes’ easy victory in the second round over Ernie Dorman in the main event on the card, the fans who packed the house at the smoker given by the Black Diamond Athletic Club last Saturday night seemed well satisfied with the show.

Another knockout was scored by “Cougar” Coutcher, second for “Kid” Brundage, when he splashed some Sloan’s Liniment in the eyes of Brundage and so blinded him that the bout had to be called off before the battlers had even a chance to shake hands.

The smoker opened with a battle royal in which five Black Diamond huskies went to it hot and heavy. Ernest Buchanan, otherwise “Kid Montana,” emerged the victor, according to the decision of Referee Nas Matt, whose judgment was endorsed by the crowd. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, February 1, 1923

Drawn by Chas. Butkus

Drawn by Chas. Butkus

That the smoker scheduled for Black Diamond next Saturday night, February 3, is going to be a record-breaker, both in the crowd expected and in the excellence of the bouts, is generally conceded. In addition to the main event, a six-round tangle between Ernie Dorman of Black Diamond and J.J. Forbes of Issaquah, there are six other battles on the program.

All rounds will last for two minutes each, and with the exception of the main event the bouts are all of four rounds.

Because of an injury suffered by Len Berry in an accident this week, he will not be able to meet his brother, Bill Berry, Jr., in a four-round exhibition bout. His place will be taken by H.A. Noah, who promises to give Bill a run for his money. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, January 11, 1922

By Harry J. Scott

New Pacific Coast Coal Co logo - 1927The infant 1922 was given an auspicious sendoff in this man’s town. Everything necessary to an enjoyable and successful “Hi Jinks” dance was in evidence when the Clubroom was opened to the guests on Saturday evening.

Bernhard’s orchestra, the same aggregation of artists who furnished the music at our previous dance, was on hand attired in appropriate Hi Jinks costumes, and again delivered the same brand of high grade music for which they are noted. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Times, December 27, 1964

By Lucile McDonald

This is the farm near Hobart where Bill Peacock spent his boyhood. The farm now belongs to his nephew. A rail line once ran through pasture in foreground.

This is the farm near Hobart where Bill Peacock spent his boyhood. The farm now belongs to his nephew. A rail line once ran through pasture in foreground.

From high places around Hobart, where Bill Peacock has spent 77 of his nearly 80 years, he can view the new sweep of the Echo Lake cutoff highway and automobiles traveling along it at a fast clip.

The final section penetrates foothill country that not too long ago had only roads made with pick, shovel and wheelbarrow.

Peacock used to travel a long circuit over them once a week making meat deliveries. He believes he was the first person to drive a team and wagon into some of the communities along the Pacific Coast Railroad. The branch line later was torn up and the towns are now defunct. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, November 23, 1922

Boys of Burnett who keep the wheels rolling.

Boys of Burnett who keep the wheels rolling.

Naturally, at every camp of the company there are arguments regarding which department really produces the coal but the men in this picture refuse to argue. They know there would be little coal produced if they were not on the job—installing, repairing, and replacing machinery and equipment. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, February 27, 1974

VALLEY LANDMARK: The Hobart home site of Hubert and Pat Peacock. “Peacock’s Roost,” the second floor of the second building from the left, served for 20 years as a center for square dancers. The Peacocks are now living in it, having moved from their former residence, the first building seen on the left. (VOICE photo by Lowell Lorenz.)

VALLEY LANDMARK: The Hobart home site of Hubert and Pat Peacock. “Peacock’s Roost,” the second floor of the second building from the left, served for 20 years as a center for square dancers. The Peacocks are now living in it, having moved from their former residence, the first building seen on the left. (VOICE photo by Lowell Lorenz.)

By Laura Lorenz

A Peacock family has roosted at a Hobart home site since 1888.

The original home has had its face lifted throughout the years, enabling it to keep up with the needs of the five generations it has sheltered.

The home is nestled in a horseshoe-shaped valley looking towards the Cascade foothills and its driveway leads up the hill to S.E. 208th Street, known by old-timers as the McKibbon Road, but now referred to as the cemetery road. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, August 2, 1972

Nestled in the hills east of Maple Valley, the town of Selleck, Wash. can point to a bustling, sometimes raucous history, going back to 1915, and, then again in recent years of peaceful slumber. Now there are plans to reconstruct the historical town. Above: The rustic Selleck post office. (Staff photo by Lowell Lorenz)

Nestled in the hills east of Maple Valley, the town of Selleck, Wash. can point to a bustling, sometimes raucous history, going back to 1915, and, then again in recent years of peaceful slumber. Now there are plans to reconstruct the historical town. Above: The rustic Selleck post office. (Staff photo by Lowell Lorenz)

By Laura Lorenz

Great new plans are being developed for the forgotten community of Selleck, according to Walt Schaefer, Maple Valley realtor.

He and his brother Robert bought the now defunct logging mill town several years ago and have sold it to a private corporation in which they have a present interest. Selleck, Incorporated, is managed by Walt Schaefer with his brother as president.

The plans are two-fold: One, to reconstruct the town in a condensed version of its past likeness for tourist trade and recreational purposes, and, two, to establish a privately-owned educational complex from primary grades through college. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Globe News, July 4, 1976

Story by Bill Smull
Photos by Smull, Larry Abele

Arrow-straight Burlington Northern rails streak toward Stampede Pass tunnel.

Arrow-straight Burlington Northern rails streak toward Stampede Pass tunnel.

Call it Palmer if you like—the post office has that name on its sign, and everyone will know that you’re most likely talking about the informal collection of buildings nestled between the north bank of the Green River and the Burlington Northern sidings. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »