Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Issaquah and Superior Coal Mine Co.’

Originally published in the The Seattle Star, September 16, 1907

Digging coal 500 feet underground in the mines of the Superior Coal and Improvement Co.

Digging coal 500 feet underground in the mines of the Superior Coal and Improvement Co.

The Superior Coal and Improvement Company, now owning and operating a producing coal mine 12 miles east of Seattle, offers a block of stock at 40¢ per share cash, or 45¢ on installments, to raise enough money to lay 3 miles of railroad track over a right of way 100 feet wide owned by the company, and graded for over two miles, with 7,000 cedar ties cut and stacked along the grade.

Read carefully the following report on our property by one of the leading mining engineers of the great Northwest, Mr. F.H. Whitworth, who has had 25 years’ experience in mining in the state of Washington. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, March 29, 1923

Mouth of the drift entrance to the Superior Mine located west of Issaquah near Tibbetts Creek, circa 1911-1912. The mine properties were subsequently purchased by Pacific Coast Coal Co.

Mouth of the drift entrance to the Superior Mine located west of Issaquah near Tibbetts Creek, circa 1911-1912. The mine properties were subsequently purchased by Pacific Coast Coal Co.

Before a special meeting of the Mine Council at Issaquah Wednesday, March 21, announcement was made of the company’s decision to temporarily suspend operations at Issaquah Mine. Plans were also outlined for the keeping intact of the Issaquah organization, so that when the mine reopens later in the summer, practically the entire crew may be available.

Following the council session, the council adjourned to the lobby of the hotel where all employees had been invited to an open meeting, and there the situation was explained to the camp as a whole. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the News Mill, Volume 1, No. 3, March 31, 1976

Issaquah Coal Mine TramCan you remember … when Mountain Park was a heavily-forested hillside and the sounds of the coal cars could be heard across the valley as they rumbled to the surface with another load of “black gold”? (more…)

Read Full Post »