Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Mine #12’

Originally published in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, November 23, 1894

Engineers at work and narrow gauge to be widened very soon

A party of engineers under A.A. Booth is in the field revising the line for the extension of the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad to a connection with the Northern Pacific near Palmer, which is known as the Palmer Cut-Off, and it is understood that, while no official information on the subject can be obtained, the construction of the road will soon begin and be very soon followed by the widening of the Columbia & Puget Sound to standard gauge.

It is understood that this step has been hastened by the traffic connection between the Northern Pacific and the Burlington, the latter road wishing to save mileage and time in running trains to and from Seattle, its chosen Pacific Coast terminus, by avoiding the roundabout trap by way of Meeker. (more…)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 28, 1888

Black Diamond, Aug. 25 – Everything is running smoothly, as usual. Shafts 14, 12, and 2 are running at their fullest capacity. Everybody is busy, and of course, happy.

School opened on Monday morning with an enrollment of 126 pupils, with more to come. If the present prosperity continues more school room will be needed shortly. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, May 13, 1904

General Manager Ford ends negotiations in southern city

J.C. Ford

J.C. Ford

Rich coal deposits on C. & P. S. Ry. transferred for $1,000,000

SAN FRANCISCO, Friday, May 13 — J.C. Ford, general manager of the Pacific Coast Company, has been in this city for some days negotiating with President H.H. Taylor for the purchase of the Black Diamond coal mines on Puget Sound.

This afternoon at the office of the Black Diamond Company a representative of The Times was told that the deal had been closed. The price named was $1,000,000. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, May 1, 1904

Deal the largest ever consummated in the State of Washington

Million dollars to be paid by purchasers for the fuel fields

The Black Diamond coal mines are to be sold to the Pacific Coast Company, $1,000,000 being paid for the properties. Negotiations for the acquirement of the coal lands and workings, which have been in progress for nearly four months, are practically completed and the formal transfer will be made within a few days.

This is the largest deal ever made in this state involving coal lands, and will give the Pacific Coast Company a total production of 2,500 tons daily. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, March 29, 1922

By Geo. Watkin Evans, consulting coal mining engineer, Seattle

George Watkin Evans (1876-1951), 1924 Courtesy Seattle and Environs

George Watkin Evans, 1924

Pacosco, as it is now called, was formerly Franklin. This district was first opened on the banks of Green River on the McKay Coal Seam about 1885. The railroad was extended from Black Diamond in order to develop this coal area.

Originally, Franklin Mine was opened by a drift driven on the McKay Coal at bunker level above the old railroad grade. Later a water level gangway was driven from the edge of Green River and the coal hoisted up an incline on the surface and dumped over the same tipple as that from the upper level. Later a slope was sunk on another bed which underlies the McKay and all of the coal below the original bunker level was hauled through this opening.

Numerous slopes were sunk at Franklin and also one shaft was developed. Most of the coal was mined from the McKay Bed but some was also mined from two underlying beds, the Number Twelve and the Number Ten. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, March 8, 1922

By Geo. Watkin Evans, consulting coal mining engineer, Seattle

Black Diamond-area mines

This hand drawn map from the article, “Black Diamond-area mines,” was published in the August 1987 issue of the BDHS newsletter. (See http://wp.me/pDbRj-J9.)

We are now ready to take up the Black Diamond area of the coal fields of the State of Washington. The Black Diamond area was opened at a much earlier date than the Ravensdale area.

The old Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad, now the Pacific Coast Railway, which has played such an important part in the early development of Seattle and vicinity, was extended from Renton up the Cedar River Valley, thence across the gravel plains in the neighborhood of Lake Wilderness to what is now Black Diamond.

Mine No. 14, Black Diamond, was opened in 1884 by the Black Diamond Coal Company, which was originally incorporated in California, and operated a mine at Mount Diablo. This company was composed of such well-known persons as Alvinza Hayward, P.B. Cornwall, and Morgan Morgans. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Black Diamond Bulletin, Winter 2010/2011

The Black Diamond General Store, circa 1915, shortly after its move from Lawson Hill.

The Black Diamond General Store, circa 1915, shortly after its move from Lawson Hill.

By Ken Jensen

GOING TO THE GROCERY STORE. Sounds like a fairly simple task, unless of course you live in Black Diamond—in which case you have to trek to Maple Valley, Covington, or Enumclaw for the nearest Safeway or QFC.

This isn’t a clean-up-on-aisle-three calamity, though—the Four Corners Safeway is only a few miles down the Maple Valley-Black Diamond Road—but we take our modern conveniences seriously these days, don’t we? (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »