Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Mine #7’

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, December 27, 1906

Takes two deputy sheriffs and six citizens to quell a disturbance at Bruce, near Black Diamond

Too much holiday liquor the cause. Officials are roughly handled until they get reinforcements, when belligerents submit quietly enough

The town of Bruce was located at the end of the Bruce Branch of the Columbia & Puget Sound RR. The branch paralleled the Green River Gorge Road and ended just south of Lake Twelve.

It took Deputy Sheriff Bob Hodge and a posse of seven men to suppress a riot at Bruce, three miles from Black Diamond, Tuesday night, in which a band of Italians were the participants. Too much Christmas liquid cheer was the inciting cause of the row. Three of the ring leaders, Marona Gibatta, Tony Biozo, and Valantini Areo, will celebrate New Year’s Day in the county jail. (more…)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Washington State Historical Society’s quarterly journal, Columbia, Spring 1994

By John Hanscom

Drawing of Franklin, circa 1887.

Bird’s-eye-view map of Franklin Mine and its environs, c. 1890. (Courtesy of Don Mason and the Black Diamond Historical Society.)

Henry Villard launched the Oregon Improvement Company in October 1880 as part of his grand scheme to dominate the development of the Pacific Northwest. By 1883 he had tied the area to the national economy with the completion of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Expansive development of the Pacific Northwest seemed assured.

To fuel Villard’s steamships and locomotives, a dependable coal supply was a high priority. By February 1881 the Oregon Improvement Company had acquired the Seattle Coal and Transportation Company, including the Newcastle Mine east of Lake Washington, at a cost of one million dollars. The Seattle and Walla Walla Railroad (renamed the Columbia and Puget Sound) was also purchased for over half a million dollars to transport coal from mine to Seattle bunkers. Villard hired John L. Howard under a five-year contract at $10,000 per year as general manager of the coal business. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, December 12, 1895

Since the bodies of the four miners, who lost their lives in the mine fire at Franklin October 17 last, have been recovered, the strain on the nerves of the workmen of the mine has been relieved and the miners have now but one object in view—the reopening of the mine.

It is believed that coal will be coming up the main slope by January 10. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, December 7, 1895

No trace of the dead bodies. Coal will be shipped from No. 7 this month—Railroad Avenue death-trap closed

The main slope of the Oregon Improvement Company’s mine at Franklin, which has been closed since the recent disaster, has been opened to the sixth level, and before the end of the present month will be again in condition for the taking out of coal. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, March 8, 1922

JJ JonesTo reinforce the efforts of the operating forces in maintaining the highest standard of quality in coals produced at the company’s mines, the position of coal inspector has been created.

It is to be filled by J.J. Jones, one of the most prominent coal mining men in the Northwest.

Mr. Jones began his coal mining career more than twenty-five years ago in old No. 7 Mine on the McKay seam near Black Diamond, going afterward to Franklin, Issaquah, and Newcastle. He was superintendent at Newcastle for fifteen years. (more…)

Read Full Post »

By Ken Jensen

Garbage canFriday in Black Diamond means “Trash Day.” Roll out the garbage can—actually, a curbside collection cart—to the street and a big, noisy truck hauls its contents off to a landfill far, far away.

Black Diamond pioneers of 90 years ago didn’t have much trash nor were they particularly concerned with its disposal. Feed it to livestock, bury it in the garden, burn it in the backyard, throw it over a hillside, drop it down the privy, dump it an abandoned mine shaft….

Get rid of it one or another—or not. It just wasn’t that important.

That is until 1924, when Black Diamond experienced an epidemic of measles, scarlet fever, and infantile paralysis. This prompted the town’s owner, the Pacific Coast Coal Company, to require that every household purchase a garbage can. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the BDHS newsletter, August 1987

Black Diamond-area mines

Click to enlarge the map.

When the coal explorers came to the Green River coal fields in 1880, they had no way of knowing actually how great the extent of the coal was. People ask many questions about the mines: Where were they? How long did they last? Is there more coal left? Were there disasters? How much coal was mined?

The Green River coal fields covered some 80 square miles. It is estimated that between 40 and 50 million tons of coal was mined. Constant reading and research has brought many things to light but much is still to be learned. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »