Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘PCCC General Store’

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, December 27, 1923

Herewith the Bulletin publishes the first picture made public of the new Primrose tunnel at Newcastle, which only recently was completed to a distance of 650 feet where the new coal seam was reached.

Three shifts of gangway and counter driving will now be kept continuously on the development, and according to estimates, the new opening will be producing coal in commercial quantities by the early part of next fall.

In the foreground of the picture can be seen John G. Schoning of the United States Bureau of Mines; E.L. Fortney, fireboss; Paul Gallagher, former superintendent at Newcastle; and D.C. Botting, manager of mines. (more…)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, November 15, 1923

Surrounded by trees and well removed from the noise and grime of the mine operations, the Pacific Coast Coal Company Hospital at Black Diamond presents the appearance of a well-kept bungalow rather than that of a medical or surgical institution.

A peek into the interior gives another reason why the men who require hospital attention prefer the Black Diamond hospital to any available in Seattle. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, October 25, 1923

Every afternoon, rain or shine, the men who report at the slope to catch the man trip down at 3:30 are always ready to comply with the photographer’s request to stand for a picture. It is with genuine pleasure that the Bulletin herewith presents a sextet of real fellows, a part of the crew which daily does a shift in Black Diamond.

From left to right they are: C.W. Bland, J. Pohorence, L. Raschka, S.E. Bennett, C.P. Capaci (otherwise known as The Sheik), and T. Strigen. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, October 18, 1923

When those who had gathered at Burnett last Thursday, to attend the monthly meeting of the Store Department, checked up after all were seated around the dinner table it was discovered that all records had been broken in the number attending, a count showing 52 present. After an excellent dinner, prepared and served by Chef Emil Bernhard and his assistants, an instructive and enjoyable program of talks was attentively listened to.

J.C. Hinckley of the West Coast Grocery Co., Tacoma, led off with a very able talk of an inspirational nature. He was followed by L.W. Foreman, the new manager of Burnett store, who briefly outlined his program for the development of trade. R.A. Krebs, manager of Newcastle store, then read a paper dealing with salesmanship, which was followed by a talk on “Some Knotty Problems” by H.M. McDowell, manager of Black Diamond store. McDowell’s talk provoked an extended discussion of various problems met with daily in the company stores. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, October 4, 1923

Indication of the wide-spreading use of Diamond Briquets is seen in the growing demand for this fuel for consumption in the smudge pots of Yakima Valley orchards. Each spring, during the budding and blossoming season, Yakima orchardists strive to save their crops from the ravages of late frosts by the use of smudge pots placed beneath the flower-laden trees. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, September 27, 1923

This group shows some of the supervisors at Black Diamond Mine upon whose shoulders falls much of the responsibility for getting out the coal. From left to right, standing, Fireboss Henry Becker, Supt. J.J. Jones, Fireboss Gomer Evans, Lampman Elmer Hyneman, and Fireboss Richard Barry. Kneeling in front are Mine Foreman Dave Hughes and Mine Foreman Theo. Rouse. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Northwest Post Card Club newsletter; July, August, September 2017

By Ken Jensen

Black Diamond depot, circa 1910. The train was pulled by engine No. 18 of the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad, which served several mining towns in King County.

Black Diamond depot, circa 1910. The train was pulled by engine No. 18 of the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad, which served several mining towns in King County.

For the miners and their families in turn-of-the-century Black Diamond—an isolated company town near the Cascade foothills of South King County, Washington—the 33-mile trip to Seattle was an all-day journey. The company’s railroad and circa 1885 depot, along with its general store, were the townspeople’s only real connection to the outside world.

In 1904 the Pacific Coast Co. owned all of Black Diamond—its mines, its land, its stores, pretty much everything—as well as neighboring Franklin and a handful of other King and Pierce county towns. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »