Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘resorts’

Originally published in the MVHS Bugle, May 2000

By Barbara Nilson

Photos by Sherrie Acker

The “action” in the 1920s to 1950s, from Seattle south, was at the lake resorts in the Valley. Memories of those glory days were shared at the March program with Dolores Gaffney and Janet Bertagni talking about Gaffney’s Lake Wilderness resort, and Gloria Foss remembering the family’s resort on Shadow Lake.

Lake Wilderness resorts

Attending the historical society program on resorts were, from left, Janet Bertagni, Dolores Gaffney Judge, and Bernadine Gaffney Gebenini.

Dolores Gaffney, daughter of Tom Gaffney, reported her father and his brother Kain purchased the property on Lake Wilderness in 1926 from Abraham and Sam Cohen. The family moved to the lake and the resort opened in the spring of 1927 as Gaffney’s Lake Wilderness.

At that time there were three small family resorts on the lake. Dieckman with his two sons, Jeff and Don, had just started one, and across the lake was McKinney’s. McKinney’s also had a dance hall that was two stories high that they eventually turned into a skating rink. In April 1939 McKinneys sold their place to Gaffneys.

One of the older buildings was used for a dance hall, said Dolores, and they used kerosene lamps. In 1936 they built a new dance hall after the old one burned down. They had a 30-foot-high diving board as well as cabins, tennis courts, picnic areas, ball fields, and playgrounds.

In 1949 Diekmans and Gaffneys were combined and the Gaffneys decided to build a lodge. The design was developed by Young, Richardson and Carlson and won the grand prize from the Washington Chapter of Architects in 1951 and the top award from the American Institute in New York in 1952. The center column totem pole was carved by the famous Doug McCarter. It is 35 feet tall and weighs ten tons. (more…)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, April 9, 1925

Playing together for the first time this season, the soccer football squad at Newcastle has been one of the strong contenders for honors in the state league. The camp has loyally supported the boys and in turn the players have been a credit to the camp. One of the team, Bert Blondell, was chosen to play with the Washington All-Stars in the game against the All-Stars of Victoria, B.C.

In the picture, from left to right standing: Tim Riley, Jack Lucas, Don Campbell, Bert Blondell, Jock Clark, Jim Strang, Bob Gelling, Dave Forbes, Jimmy Walton, Joe Oschberger, and W.S. Hart. In front, left to right: Dan Minele, Bob Miles, C. Mikola, Arthur Kelly, Gus Lapsansky, Ted Jackson, captain of the team, Harold Phillips, Jim McCarthy, “Hen” Roberts. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, March 12, 1925

Peter Bertoldi is the agent for the Pacific Coast Coal Company at its Georgetown Depot. This view shows him in front of his office at 5422 Duwamish Avenue.

Black Diamond Doings

Camp to possess model ball park

Final touches have now been put on the Black Diamond baseball park, which will make it one of the finest diamonds outside of the league parks. Grass seed has recently been planted on the infield, and two new dugouts have been built, and in addition the whole field has been carefully gone over and put in A-1 shape for the season.

The recent sunshine has brought out the baseball aspirants, and judging from the early work-outs Black Diamond will have a wealth of material from which to build up a first class ball team this season.

New uniforms have been ordered, of a solid grey color, with the company trade mark on the left breast and an orange diamond with a black letter “B” on black caps. The socks are black and white. The uniforms are on display this week in the windows of Piper & Taft in Seattle. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in Carbon River Heritage newsletter, July 1986

by Nancy Irene Hall

James L. Brummett, ex-Coast Guard officer-turned trapper, fisherman, and hunter. Jim posing with some of his furs on the dock of his Double Rainbow Lake Resort located just 2 miles east of Wilkeson on the Quinnon exit. (Photo by Nancy Irene Hall.)

James L. Brummett, ex-Coast Guard officer-turned trapper, fisherman, and hunter. Jim posing with some of his furs on the dock of his Double Rainbow Lake Resort located just 2 miles east of Wilkeson on the Quinnon exit. (Photo by Nancy Irene Hall.)

The site of the old coal mine town once called South Willis lies just a few miles east of Wilkeson on the Quinnion exit. It is now the home of Double Rainbow Resort, a 25-acre resort run by James L. Brummett. This land has seen many changes since its coal mining days.

It was named after the Northern Pacific Railroad’s young geologist Bailey Willis, who did the coal explorations for their Northern Transcontinental Survey in 1881–1884. After his explorations he gave his account of the coal in the Wilkeson, South Willis, Carbonado area in a paper entitled “Report of the Coal Fields of Washington Territory.” (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, June 14, 1950

The sleek waters of Lake Wilderness beckon vacationers either for a refreshing swim or shoving off for a row. The latter activity is exactly what Elaine Borell and Shirley Demko, students of Buckley Division, White River High School are enjoying.— Times photo by Royal Crooks.

The sleek waters of Lake Wilderness beckon vacationers either for a refreshing swim or shoving off for a row. The latter activity is exactly what Elaine Borell and Shirley Demko, students of Buckley Division, White River High School are enjoying.— Times photo by Royal Crooks.

Newest of resort hotels within a few miles of Seattle is Lake Wilderness Lodge, scheduled for completion this month as an addition to Kain Gaffney’s large picnic park on the west shore of Lake Wilderness.

With an eye to enticing air travelers of the future, Gaffney has installed a convenient air strip immediately adjoining the building and provided ample tie-down space for planes

An investment of $250,000 is represented in the hotel and landing field. The building, of modern design, has walls mainly of glass. Every room looks out upon the lake, with its wooded shore line and numerous boats. There are but 12 rooms for overnight guests, but large dinner groups will be welcome. The regular dining room has a seating capacity of 140; banquet rooms on the ground floor will accommodate 400 and catering will be geared to accommodate conventions.

In order to use advantageously the sloping site on the shore, the lodge has been constructed on four floor levels, centered around a staircase of spectacular design, circling a mammoth totem pole, ax-carved by the sculptor, Dudley Carter. The huge timber is four feet in diameter and 30 feet from base to top, with designs its entire length.

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, May 7, 1961

One of the highlights at big festival: Queen Darlene Jones and Princess Sandy Di Martino in pony carts. (Post-Intelligencer photos by Phil H. Webber.)

One of the highlights at big festival: Queen Darlene Jones and Princess Sandy Di Martino in pony carts. (Post-Intelligencer photos by Phil H. Webber.)

Maple Valley paraded its progress yesterday along trails cut by cows in the days when the guests of honor were young pioneers there.

In the reviewing stand were some who remember those pioneer days and others who are descended from founders of the community, first settled in 1879. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the News Record, April 27, 1961

Ready to march—Queen Darlene Jones of the Maple Valley Community Club admires the costumes Jody and Kenny Stickley will wear in the first annual Queen’s Parade Saturday in Maple Valley. The youngsters are the children of Mr. and Mrs. Harley Stickley, and Queen Darlene, a junior at Tahoma High School, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Jones.

Ready to march—Queen Darlene Jones of the Maple Valley Community Club admires the costumes Jody and Kenny Stickley will wear in the first annual Queen’s Parade Saturday in Maple Valley. The youngsters are the children of Mr. and Mrs. Harley Stickley, and Queen Darlene, a junior at Tahoma High School, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Jones.

Bands will play and flags will fly in Maple Valley next week when the first annual Queen’ s Parade of the Maple Valley Community Club starts its march at the Junior High School at 2 p.m. on May 6.

Local entries as well as units from Skyway and other neighboring communities will wend their way down a hill and through town to the community hail, where hot dogs, balloons, and other items will be on sale. Popcorn balls will be given to all children participating in the parade.

The recently-chosen queen, Darlene Jones, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Jones will ride in a pony cart drawn by a team of Shetland ponies. Her princess, Sandy DiMartino, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John DiMartino will also ride in a pony cart. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »