Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Prohibition’

Originally published in The Seattle Times, May 21, 1986

By Herb Belanger

Don Mason, left, Carl Steiert, Ted Barner, and Bob Eaton stroll through what was Franklin. (Richard S. Heyza/Seattle Times.)

Don Mason, left, Carl Steiert, Ted Barner, and Bob Eaton stroll through what was Franklin. (Richard S. Heyza/Seattle Times.)

Tough old coal-mining towns like Black Diamond always have had their share of characters, but the “Flying Frog” is one of Carl Steiert’s favorites.

The “Frog” actually was a Belgian named Emile Raisin who ran a taxi service between Black Diamond, a company town with one bar, and Ravensdale, which had 10 saloons where miners quenched the thirst they developed toiling underground. (more…)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, April 22, 1919

Taken in whiskey raids. This photograph shows the largest and smallest stills seized by Sheriff John Stringer and his deputies since their war upon manufacturers of liquor in King County began. The larger still, with boiler, condenser, and goose neck, is four feet high and officers say is capable of producing from twelve to fifteen gallons of liquor a day. It, together with kegs and a washboiler of mash and two quarts of Grappa, was found in a sunken concrete room on the farm of Carl Arimeni, one mile from Newcastle. A galvanized water bucket, sauce pan with wire stand, and a tin basin made up the smaller still. It was seized at the home of H.H. Hammond, 722 Main St.

Taken in whiskey raids. This photograph shows the largest and smallest stills seized by Sheriff John Stringer and his deputies since their war upon manufacturers of liquor in King County began. The larger still, with boiler, condenser, and goose neck, is four feet high and officers say is capable of producing from twelve to fifteen gallons of liquor a day. It, together with kegs and a washboiler of mash and two quarts of Grappa, was found in a sunken concrete room on the farm of Carl Arimeni, one mile from Newcastle. A galvanized water bucket, sauce pan with wire stand, and a tin basin made up the smaller still. It was seized at the home of H.H. Hammond, 722 Main St.

After a search lasting three days, in which more than one-tenth of an acre of woodland was dug over with crowbars, picks and spades, deputy sheriffs yesterday afternoon found the largest still yet seized in King County, on the farm of Carl Arimeni, proprietor of a pool hall in that mining town.

Arimeni was arrested and is being held in the county jail, while Sheriff John Stringer, together with government officers, are making today a further investigation. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Seattle Star, February 9, 1914

An appeal was filed this morning by Attorney Thomas Meade against the decision of the county commissioners prohibiting the town of Harrisburg to be incorporated instead of Ravensdale.

The fight involves a “dry” and “wet” issue.

Ravensdale was incorporated last year by the “wets,” and former Deputy Sheriff Starwich opened up a saloon. It was later discovered that a clerical error located the incorporated town six miles from where it is actually situated.

In spite of this, Meade charges, the saloon was allowed to operate, because the Northern Pacific, which owns most of Ravensdale, wanted it to run.

The “drys” got up a petition of their own, included a part of Ravensdale only, and sought incorporation. The Northern Pacific fought it, and Commissioners Hamilton and Knudsen threw the petition out.

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the MVHS’s The Bugle, November 1997

By Eva Litras

Dale Coal Company in Ravensdale, a typical small mine of this area early in the century. Photo supplied by Maple Valley Historical Society Museum.

Dale Coal Company in Ravensdale, a typical small mine of this area early in the century. Photo supplied by Maple Valley Historical Society Museum.

This is a story about the Elkcoal Mine—located off the Kangley-Kanasket Road. We moved there in 1929 and lived in a small house on Sugarloaf Mountain. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 28, 1888

Black Diamond, Aug. 25 – Everything is running smoothly, as usual. Shafts 14, 12, and 2 are running at their fullest capacity. Everybody is busy, and of course, happy.

School opened on Monday morning with an enrollment of 126 pupils, with more to come. If the present prosperity continues more school room will be needed shortly. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, April 29, 1921

Man using an axe to destroy a vat of alcohol, ca. 1925. (University of Washington Special Collections.)

Man using an axe to destroy a vat of alcohol, ca. 1925. (University of Washington Special Collections.)

Deputy sheriffs this noon raided the farm of Tony Susnar, eight miles from Black Diamond on the old Auburn-Black Diamond road, and found a ten-gallon still in operation.

Susnar was arrested and 100 gallons of mash were seized, together with a quart of moonshine whiskey. The mash was destroyed.

Susnar’s wife ran to an outhouse when the deputies approached the place and kicked over a quantity of completed product. The deputies allowed the still to operate during their search, the quart they held as evidence being distilled while they were there.

Susnar was taken to the county jail and the still and other evidence were locked in his vault by Sheriff Matt Starwich.

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, April 26, 1923

On the front cover of the Pacific Coast Bulletin this week is reproduced a remarkable photograph of a man trip, just as it starts down the slope of Black Diamond Mine with a crew going on the graveyard shift. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »