Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Maple Valley’

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, June 13, 1989

Maple Valley Day’s Cedar River offers a mecca for summer fun as these youngsters have discovered. — VOICE photo by Teresa Hensley. This young Sonics fan had a prominent spot in the recent Maple Valley Day Parade.

The judges had a difficult task in trying to decide winners among the many excellent entries in the June 2 Maple Valley Day Parade. Their final category decisions are listed below.

DRILL TEAMS, Section 1: 1st, Renaissance “A” Team; 2nd, Drill-A-Rines; 3rd, Ballard Eagles Jr. Drill Team.

DRILL TEAMS, Section 2: 1st, Burien Eagles Drill Team; 2nd, Renaissance “B” Team.

JEEP UNITS: 1st, Green River Valley Jeepers; 2nd, Powerline Pounders. (more…)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the North Maple Valley Living, June 2019

By JoAnne Matsumura

Roberta Bailey, Tahoma High School home economics teacher

As the community’s high school graduates are singing the tune of “No more teachers! No more books!” there are those former students who remember with fondness Roberta Bailey, their home economics teacher of the early 1960s.

In 1960, an invitation was sent to high schools throughout the United States for home economics teachers to submit their favorite recipes for publication in a book.

Maple Valley’s home economics teacher Roberta Bailey submitted her recipes and the one submitted for “Moist Meatloaf” was chosen for the Meats Edition cookbook of 1961 through 1963. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, June 4, 1925

This photo is from the 1925 P.T.A. visit to Briquetville, near today's Gene Coulon Park.

This photo is from the 1925 P.T.A. visit to Briquetville, near today’s Gene Coulon Park.

More than million briquets made daily

In 1914 the Briquet Plant was opened and has run continuously since that time. It operates two shifts of eight hours each and produces five hundred tons of briquets a day. That means that more than one and one-half million briquets are made each day.

The briquets are made from a combination of Black Diamond and South Prairie coals. The first of these give it its free burning quality and low ash and the last, a coking coal, gives it its strength and fire holding power. The binder used is a specially prepared form of asphalt from which the stickiness has been removed.

The trip through the plant will be in the direction in which the coal is run, beginning at the point where the raw coal is received and ending at the point where the finished briquet goes into the railroad cars. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the King County Journal, June 2001

Workers harvesting leeks at the Mosby Brothers Farm near Black Diamond on a sunny winter day.

Workers harvesting leeks at the Mosby Brothers Farm near Black Diamond on a sunny winter day.

Black Diamond is a small town located 35 miles southeast of Seattle, east of Auburn, and south of Maple Valley. It was established more than 100 years ago when a wealth of coal was discovered. The town’s name came from the Black Diamond Coal Company of California, which began mining in the area in the 1880s. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the MVHS Bugle, May 2000

By Barbara Nilson

Photos by Sherrie Acker

The “action” in the 1920s to 1950s, from Seattle south, was at the lake resorts in the Valley. Memories of those glory days were shared at the March program with Dolores Gaffney and Janet Bertagni talking about Gaffney’s Lake Wilderness resort, and Gloria Foss remembering the family’s resort on Shadow Lake.

Lake Wilderness resorts

Attending the historical society program on resorts were, from left, Janet Bertagni, Dolores Gaffney Judge, and Bernadine Gaffney Gebenini.

Dolores Gaffney, daughter of Tom Gaffney, reported her father and his brother Kain purchased the property on Lake Wilderness in 1926 from Abraham and Sam Cohen. The family moved to the lake and the resort opened in the spring of 1927 as Gaffney’s Lake Wilderness.

At that time there were three small family resorts on the lake. Dieckman with his two sons, Jeff and Don, had just started one, and across the lake was McKinney’s. McKinney’s also had a dance hall that was two stories high that they eventually turned into a skating rink. In April 1939 McKinneys sold their place to Gaffneys.

One of the older buildings was used for a dance hall, said Dolores, and they used kerosene lamps. In 1936 they built a new dance hall after the old one burned down. They had a 30-foot-high diving board as well as cabins, tennis courts, picnic areas, ball fields, and playgrounds.

In 1949 Diekmans and Gaffneys were combined and the Gaffneys decided to build a lodge. The design was developed by Young, Richardson and Carlson and won the grand prize from the Washington Chapter of Architects in 1951 and the top award from the American Institute in New York in 1952. The center column totem pole was carved by the famous Doug McCarter. It is 35 feet tall and weighs ten tons. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in Northwest Nikkei, May 1994

By Ed Suguro

A 1924 photo of the Selleck Japanese community. T.Z.Maekawa is the man in the striped tie with hand in pocket, third row from top; Heiji Sakakibara is the man standing next to him. The Rev. U.G. Murphy is sitting far right third row from bottom. Mr. Abo, the foreman, is sitting in the middle with the baby.

Before World War II there were a number of company sawmill towns like Mukilteo, Snoqualmie, Selleck, Eatonville, National, Onalaska, Walvill, and Longview in which the Issei worked and the Nisei grew up.

Selleck was about 10 miles east of Maple Valley and was recognized by the King County Landmarks Commission as a historical landmark and by the National Register as a historic district. It was a company town in which the Pacific States Lumber Company, one of the largest on the West Coast, employed a number of Issei.

Among those who lived there were T.Z. Maekawa, who worked at the mill, and the Rev. Joseph Sakakibara, who grew up there until high school. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, May 17, 1935

The Pacific Coast Coal Co.’s New Black Diamond Mine (aka, Indian Mine), which was located on the Maple Valley Highway, is shown here being dismantled in 1941.

Two hundred pounds of dynamite, 1,000 blasting caps, and 100 feet of fuse were stolen last night by two masked robbers who held up and bound Archie McDonald, night watchman at the New Black Diamond mine, six miles east of Renton, after threatening McDonald’s life.

O.K. Bodia, chief criminal deputy sheriff, began an intensive search for the robbers, fearing the dynamite may be made into bombs or used to blast safes.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »