Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Buildings’ Category

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, June 21, 1978

One of Maple Valley’s first stores, once well-stocked and standing where the Maple Valley Food Center is now located, still is used for storage as it rests in a pasture at the dead end of S.E. 216th Place. Built about 1896, it is probably the oldest commercial building remaining in Maple Valley. —Voice photo by Bob Gerbing.

One of Maple Valley’s first stores, once well-stocked and standing where the Maple Valley Food Center is now located, still is used for storage as it rests in a pasture at the dead end of S.E. 216th Place. Built about 1896, it is probably the oldest commercial building remaining in Maple Valley. —Voice photo by Bob Gerbing.

Maple Valley’s first store sits proudly in a pasture at the dead end of S.E. 216th Place and it is almost unnoticed.

Built about 1896, owned and run successively by William D. Gibbon and Joe Mezzavilla, it is probably the oldest commercial building remaining in Maple Valley.

According to Jayne Wissel, King County historic site researcher, there are many unique structures of local historical significance in the Maple Valley area such as the Scholtman house, the Lagesson cabin, and the Hobart school buildings.

Local citizens and members of the Maple Valley Historical Society have aided in the locating and historical research of these sites. Some information has been gathered on many more sites. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, June 21, 1902

Burglars secure stamps to the value of $350 and small amount of cash

The Confectionery, circa 1940, with the emergency siren, now on display at the museum, on the roof. The Show Hall is at right.

The Confectionery, circa 1940, was the site of the post office robbery in 1902. Today the building is the home to Black Diamond Pizza & Deli.

BLACK DIAMOND, Saturday, June 21.—The post office safe was blown open last night or early this morning and rifled. Three hundred and fifty dollars’ worth of stamps was taken.

Postmaster Charles McKinnon discovered the robbery when he arrived at the post office at 6:30 this morning. The office is located in the back part of a store and the store also sustained a loss of $10 in cash from the register, and a small amount of candy from the show case. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, August 23, 2016

By Bill Kombol

Maple Valley’s third depot dates to 1953, shortly after it was built.

Maple Valley’s third depot dates to 1953, shortly after it was built.

Over the near century from 1885 to 1982, Maple Valley hosted three different railroad stations, all located in old Maple Valley just north of where Highway 18 overpasses SR-169. This photo of the third Maple Valley depot dates to 1953 shortly after it was built.

The Maple Valley station was an important cog for directing rail traffic as trains could be switched to Black Diamond, Taylor, or up the Cedar River through Landsburg into the watershed. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, June 14, 1923

If working a shift in Black Diamond Mine was no harder for the four men shown above than it was for them to pose for this picture, there would always be a mad scramble among the men to see who could get the first man-trip down.

At the left we introduce to you, George Belt, and next to him, Fred Cunningham, a former Issaquah miner. The man next in line is R.E. “Curly” Campbell and the young Hercules at the extreme right is Darwin Walton. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Enumclaw Courier, June 13, 1913

These buildings were located where the Green River Eagles #1490 is today.

Fire broke out in the Black Diamond Hotel last Friday morning at about 2 o’clock, said to be caused by a man’s carelessness in smoking in one of the rooms. The building and contents were entirely destroyed, and the flames spread to Pete Fredericksen’s meat market adjoining, and a nearby residence, both being consumed.

A small safe containing considerable money, a cash register, and some books were saved from the market. Some meat was also carried out, but much of it was stolen after being placed beyond the reach of the flames. The insurance on all the property was small and the loss consequently was considerable.

Read Full Post »

(This is the ninth of a series of articles describing the weekend tours of Joe and Janice Krenmayr of Seattle, who are renewing acquaintance with their home county after nearly five years in Central and South America.)

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, June 8, 1952

Fishing and boating are but two of the many amusements offered at Gaffney’s Lake Wilderness Lodge.

Fishing and boating are but two of the many amusements offered at Gaffney’s Lake Wilderness Lodge.

By Janice Krenmayr

Fortunately for us there are any number of little lakes and pleasure resorts within a short distance of Seattle. For Joe, enmeshed in some household remodeling, had time for only a quick trip on Weekend No. 9.

Lake Wilderness, 12 miles east of Renton and Kent, was within that range. Many years ago we’d had fun on an office picnic here, but now we stood on the boating dock at Gaffney’s Grove, a little startled at the changes. The riding stables, baseball diamond, roller rink, dance hall, horseshoe pits … were they there before? There seemed to be many more cottages, too.

Despite its growth in popularity the little lake still retains the atmosphere which must have inspired its name. Set plump in the middle of thick woods, the shimmering green water seems to be trying to push back the trees that crowd to its very edge. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Daily Times, June 3, 1927

Carbon monoxide fumes fatal as Hobart lads change shoes in closet; Race to don clothes saves third playmate

Diplomas presented graduates while pair was trapped; absence overlooked in excitement

Hobart school students and teachers outside school entrance, 1927-1928.

Hobart school students and teachers outside school entrance, 1927-1928.

Death followed the fall of the curtain at the graduation entertainment of the grade school at Hobart, fifteen miles east of Renton, last night, when two 10-year-old school boys were overcome by carbon monoxide gas in a small closet where they were changing to their street clothes after the performance.

The dead boys are Donald Knutson, son of Mort Knutson, and Stillman Swanson, son of Mrs. John L. Swanson, a widow. The Knutson boy has been living at the home of his grandmother, Mrs. Christina Colton, since the death of his mother some years ago. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »