Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘library’

Originally published in the Pacific Coast Bulletin, August 9, 1923

If hard work and persistent effort is worth anything at all, the Black Diamond Mine Rescue and First Aid Team, under the leadership of Capt. B.F. Snook, is going to be a real contender for honors at the big inter-camp meet in Newcastle on August 18. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, June 14, 1978

By George and Dianne Wilson

Darrel and Jewell McCloud are here seen at their Black Diamond home among their gorgeous flowers which include 350 rosebushes “and much, much morel”

Darrel and Jewell McCloud are here seen at their Black Diamond home among their gorgeous flowers which include 350 rosebushes “and much, much more!”

Over 350 roses, more than 150 tuberous begonias, plus much, much more can be seen in one gorgeous spot in Black Diamond! No, it’s not a park or a nursery; it’s the home of Darrel and Jewell McCloud on 1st Street, across from the elementary school.

When the McClouds moved here 34 years ago from Ellensburg, they brought with them six or eight roses. Over the years, their collection has “grown like Topsy,” often through the Valentine’s Day gifts of rose bushes for Jewell from their son Michael. They now have 56 new roses imported from Canada. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, April 13, 1977

Last year’s Valley Days winner—as well as winners in two other 1976 races sponsored by the Cedar River Boat Association—were Bill Furlong, left, throwing a “victory splash’ at his partner, Bill Niord, after the finish of the men’s contest on Maple Valley Days. They’ll be trying for the big trophy again this year on June 4.

Last year’s Valley Days winner—as well as winners in two other 1976 races sponsored by the Cedar River Boat Association—were Bill Furlong, left, throwing a “victory splash’ at his partner, Bill Niord, after the finish of the men’s contest on Maple Valley Days. They’ll be trying for the big trophy again this year on June 4.

The boats are again taking to the Cedar in practice spins for the men’s and women’s Cedar River Boat Race to be held this year on June 4 as part of the annual Maple Valley Days celebration.

One craft, of course, will be manned by Bill Furlong and Bill Niord, who have come quite a way together in the last two years. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Times, December 4, 1960

By Lucile McDonald

Library Guild members gathering records of Cedar River community’s development

Remembrances of early days in Maple Valley were awakened in Mr. and Mrs. George Russell of Puyallup, whose parents were among Maple Valley’s early settlers, as they gazed at a picture of the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad station.

Remembrances of early days in Maple Valley were awakened in Mr. and Mrs. George Russell of Puyallup, whose parents were among Maple Valley’s early settlers, as they gazed at a picture of the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad station.

Working ahead of changes being wrought by highway construction, two members of the Maple Valley Library Guild are striving to preserve in photographs and written history a record of the development of the community south of Renton.

Old structures have been moved or demolished in the path of State Highway No. 2, Echo Lake branch, which is cutting across the town’s business center and will form a direct connection between Auburn and North Bend.

A request from the King County Library that the Maple Valley branch join in a history-gathering project was especially fortuitous. If any place needed to preserve a memory of its former self, it was the town on Cedar River. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Voice of the Valley, June 18, 1975

It’s some time since one of Maple Valley’s finest facilities and services has received appropriate recognition. The beginning of summer, we think, is a good occasion to pay tribute to the Maple Valley Library, shown above in a Voice photograph by Kevin McLellan. Our message: stay cool this summer, get off the crowded highways, and curl up in your backyard with a good book! The history of library service here goes back, by the way, to 1940 as revealed in the informative article below by Voice reporter D’Ann Pedee.

It’s some time since one of Maple Valley’s finest facilities and services has received appropriate recognition. The beginning of summer, we think, is a good occasion to pay tribute to the Maple Valley Library, shown above in a Voice photograph by Kevin McLellan. Our message: stay cool this summer, get off the crowded highways, and curl up in your backyard with a good book! The history of library service here goes back, by the way, to 1940 as revealed in the informative article below by Voice reporter D’Ann Pedee.

By D’Ann Pedee

“You ladies call this a library?” Out of that expression of incredulousness was born a long and pleasant association between Architect Felix Campanella and the Maple Valley library board.

At the time of Mr. Campanella’s visit, the library was in makeshift quarters in the corner of an office. He was there at the urging of Mrs. Oren Sroufe, his personal friend, and also avid proponent of a structure for the library. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in The Seattle Times, February 24, 1959

Cracker-barrel confab: Three town officials elected when Black Diamond incorporated as a fourth-class city last Tuesday, held a post-election conference in the town grocery store. From left, Mrs. Gertrude Botts, council member; Frank Costi, city treasurer and ex-officio city clerk, and Gomers Evans, Jr., councilman. Two of Mrs. Botts’ six children, David, 3, and Connie, 5, were in the foreground. The incorporation was a major step in efforts to rejuvenate the town, once a coal-mining center. —Times staff photo by John T. Closs.

Cracker-barrel confab: Three town officials elected when Black Diamond incorporated as a fourth-class city last Tuesday, held a post-election conference in the town grocery store. From left, Mrs. Gertrude Botts, council member; Frank Costi, city treasurer and ex-officio city clerk, and Gomers Evans, Jr., councilman. Two of Mrs. Botts’ six children, David, 3, and Connie, 5, were in the foreground. The incorporation was a major step in efforts to rejuvenate the town, once a coal-mining center.
—Times staff photo by John T. Closs.

By John J. Reddin, Times Staff Reporter

BLACK DIAMOND, Jan. 24 — This once booming coal-mining town, now “just another wide spot in the road,” is being given a taste of “Operation Bootstrap” by a group of spirited residents and merchants.

And, like a sick patient responding to a shot of adrenalin, the sleepy town is feeling the effects of its unexpected awakening.

Black Diamond virtually has stood still since the mid-1920s, when a strike closed several of the larger coal mines. A decrease in the demand for coal also has contributed to the “economic bust.” (more…)

Read Full Post »

Originally published in the Globe News, July 4, 1976

By Bill Smull

Black Diamond youngsters face the future in Morgansville, a part of town which stands as a monument to the tenacity of the 1920s mine workers. Town’s elementary school may merge with Enumclaw; high school students already attend there.

Black Diamond youngsters face the future in Morgansville, a part of town which stands as a monument to the tenacity of the 1920s mine workers. Town’s elementary school may merge with Enumclaw; high school students already attend there.

Black Diamond. Since before the turn of the century the name has stood for a lusty, straightforward, down-to-earth community.

Its heritage is one of taking determined (or stubborn, if you were on the other side) stands on issues and backing up those stands with action, when necessary.

Like the bitter strike against Pacific Coast Coal Co. in early twenties, Black Diamond’s Union Stump stands encased in concrete behind the Morgansville Tavern, a memorial to the stubborn determination of miners who as early as 1907 began meeting on Tim Morgans’ land, just over the company’s property line, to discuss means of obtaining higher wages and better working conditions.

The stump is still there, but the mining business is all but gone; the last vestiges of local coal-mining activity are being phased out. A more vital memorial is Morgansville itself, a collection of tiny frame houses crowded together along narrow lanes, built with union materials and donated time to house miners who were thrown out of company housing during the bitter strike of the twenties. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »